Eagle Lake began in 1880 as a settlement, when John Bingham purchased 160 acres on a knoll between the areas now known as Eagle Lake, Crystal Lake, and Spirit Lake. He named the lake on which his original cabin was constructed Eagle Lake, because of a nesting in a nearby pine tree. About the same time (1882), Louisa McLeod purchased 115 acres in the area to the east. As the land was sold, the city began to take shape and was laid out around 1887. The City of Eagle Lake was later incorporated in the Summer of 1921. During the 1980s, The City adopted the motto "Growing with people in mind". It continues to be the tenet of the city today!